Kirby Smith Middle School
Kirby Smith Middle School is a diverse and historic magnet school located in the Urban Core of Jacksonville, in Florida. Due to the school’s growing enrollment additional cafeteria space was needed to accommodate the school. The school’s age and structural composition made adding square footage prohibitive. The DCPS Food service department programmed excess NSLP funds to complete a full remodel of an adjacent science lab to increase dining and serving space.
Some project highlights include:
• Increased Point of Sale/Serving Lines from two to four including four full reimbursable lines.
• Provided new serving line technologies that allowed for a full and comprehensive menu to be served at all stations
• Including new café wall décor, paint, and signage specific to a re-branding of the school’s food service spaces and program
• Increased overall student participation, school spirit, and community pride in the school and the improved spaces
• Reduced the financial and resource burden for the facilities and maintenance departments who would have continued to fix and repair infrastructure in 62-year-old facility spaces
• Assisted the food service department in complying with federal regulations limiting net cash resources for the nonprofit NSLP program